The ninth season of The Big Bang Theory is here, and more important than finding out whether or not Penny and Leonard really get married, or where Sheldon and Amy’s relationship will go, we’re looking forward to more obscure nerd humor!
So what libations does one enjoy over the course of 30 minutes? We’re having a Higgs boson shot – particles of grapes (or boba/tapioca pearls) suspended in a blue gelatin field spiked with Everclear to add something unexpectedly “heavier”. If you don’t have Everclear on hand, but still want to add a little weight, try your favorite brand of hard alcohol (examples: whipped cream flavored vodka or coconut rum…) or a splash of liqueur (amaretto, schnapps…) cut with an unobtrusive vodka or white rum. In an infinite universe, there is no limit!
1 three (3) oz. package of blue flavored gelatin
1 cup of boiling water
1 cup of Everclear (or other hard alcohol, or liqueur alternative (cut with vodka or white rum))
¼ cup of small grapes, boba pearls, or tapioca pearls
- Mix 1 three (3) oz. package of blue flavored gelatin with 1 cup of boiling hot water.
- Once dissolved, mix in 1 cup of your cold alcohol of choice (or 1 cup of cold water)
- Pour liquid into containers of choice. Clear glasses or shot will allow you to enjoy seeing your particles float.
- Place containers filled with the gelatin liquid into the fridge. After 30-45 minutes, start testing the gelatin’s ability to suspend the grapes or pearls. Over the course of the next hour or so, use a toothpick or skewer to gently push the grape or pearls to different depths.
- Enjoy our Higgs boson gelatin shot that’s packing a weighty punch!
- Tip: Soak the grape or pearl particles in your alcohol or liqueur of choice for a few hours beforehand to make it even heavier.