Happy November, everybody! The countdown to Thanksgiving begins, but before you take off your party hats, you should know that November is National Peanut Butter Lover’s Month, the official month to celebrate the indispensable (and delicious) sandwich spread. As an avid peanut butter fan, I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to celebrate one of my favorite condiments. You can have it creamy or crunchy, salty or sweet, and with a glass of milk, it makes a whole protein (as my mom always used to tell me). Fellow peanut butter lovers, November is your month to enjoy peanut butter with reckless abandon!
Americans definitely love their peanut butter. As a country, we eat $800 million worth of peanut butter annually, and the average American consumes more than six pounds of peanut butter and peanut-related products a year. The US is the main exporter of peanut butter world wide, which makes sense considering that 94% of American households eat peanut butter. When I was living abroad, many of my friends didn’t understand our national obsession with peanut butter and blamed it for our nation’s problem with obesity. While I agree that American food can be unhealthy, I don’t think peanut butter is the main culprit. No one talks bad about my peanut butter, you hear me?
To kick off National Peanut Butter Lover’s month, I made what I call a Peanut Butter Elvis Pie Shooter. It has a crunchy graham cracker crust, alternating layers of peanut butter and banana cream, and bacon bits topping it off -all served in a shot glass so as not to be too gluttonous. Everybody knows that The King loved his peanut butter and banana sandwiches with bacon (another American staple that’s come under fire recently… but everything in moderation, right?), and November is also the month when his hit single “Love Me Tender” was first released. This month, indulge in this decadent Peanut Butter Elvis Pie Shooter that celebrates two maligned but staunchly American delicacies (and maybe eat a salad later).
Peanut Butter Elvis Pie Shooters (Yields: 10 Servings)
For peanut butter cream:
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup peanut butter, room temperature
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
For banana cream:
1 banana (ripe, but not brown)
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
½ teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
10 graham cracker cookies, pulverized
7 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and broken into small pieces
Whipped cream to top
- Prepare the peanut butter cream by creaming together the cream cheese, peanut butter, and vanilla with an egg beater or stand mixer. Mix in the powdered sugar until well combined. Fold in the whipping cream and beat until fluffy.
- Prepare the banana cream by mashing together the banana and lemon juice. Cream together the banana mixture with the butter and salt. Add the powdered sugar gradually in ⅓ cup increments, mixing in between. Beat until fluffy.
- Line up your shot glasses and pour in the graham cracker crumbs, creating a one inch layer of graham cracker at the bottom of each shot glass (Note: If you’re feeling extra indulgent, you can also add pulverized bacon bits to the crust).
- Fill two frosting bags with the peanut butter cream and banana cream, respectively. Begin adding alternating layers of each to the shot glasses until they’re full.
- Top with whipped cream and bacon bits.